Saturday, October 6, 2012

Reading Help

I've always had to encourage kids to wait to help when another child gets stuck while reading until they've had time to try it out.

This summer I watched this video and got a great idea as to how I could have students wait to share their answers. 

While working with a small group of readers this week I was finding that kids were interrupting each other with the correct word when thinking was still going on. In order for them to wait to help I had them hold the answer in their hand. If the kiddo who's stuck was not able to figure out the word then the other students can blow out the correct answer, similar to in the video. I'm finding that this is really working well with one of my groups in particular. 

This coming week one of my goals during guided reading groups will be to have the others students work at this so each child has the opportunity to do some problem solving with words.


No comments:

Post a Comment